Project Angel Food meals are not only medically tailored; they are delicious. Angel Foodie Friday is our way of sharing some of the goodness. We convinced Executive Chef John Gordon and the team to spill some of their tasty secrets and over the next several weeks recipes from actual meals our clients love.
First up: Tasty Turkeyroni! It’s a favorite recipe of both chefs in the Project Angel Food kitchen and clients.
Head chef Daniel Clavel, who’s worked for Project Angel Food for 20 years, loves it’s home-cooked vibe. “It’s amazing how everyone here works together on one recipe, from the prepping to the packaging. The best is how you feel when you receive a thank you from a client. I love it.”
Foodie Fun Fact: 120 onions are chopped nearly every single day in the Project Angel Food kitchen! That’s 55 pounds!
1 lb Ground Turkey
1/3 cup Chopped Yellow Onions
1/3 cup Chopped Celery
1 tsp Olive Oil
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Macaroni
2 tsp Tomato Paste
¼ cup Tomato Sauce
1 Tomato, medium, chopped
1 Bay Leaf
½ tsp Garlic (minced or paste)
¼ tsp Ground Cumin
1. Cook pasta and set aside.
2. In a large pan, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent (approximately 2 minutes)
3. Add celery, stirring until soft (approximately 3 minutes)
4. Add turkey, bay leaf and cumin and cook until brown, then drain fat.
5. Add tomato paste, sauce, and tomatoes
6. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
7. Add meat to pasta and toss lightly. Serve and enjoy!